International Students

International Students

The International Academy of Massage welcomes International Students to participate at the Academy.

The Academy is a designated learning school under the International Student Program (DLI # O19395281777).

Foreign nationals wishing to attend educational institutions in Canada require a study permit issued by Canada pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, S.C. 2008, c. 3 and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, SOR/2002-227.

As at June 1 2014, study permits will only be issued to students admitted to postsecondary education institutions in Ontario if the institution has been designated by Ontario pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and a Memorandum of Understanding has been agreed upon by Canada and Ontario governing their respective responsibilities with the respect of the designation of postsecondary education institutions.

Tuition Fees:

There are no International Student surcharges applied to tuition fees, by the International Academy of Massage.

The application fee for International Students is set at $150.00 in order to allow for the additional review and the costs of processing of applications.

Supplies & Services Fees:

There are no International Student surcharges applied by the Academy.

General Comments:

(a) Timing
Obtaining a Student Authorization can take up to four months, or sometimes even longer. Don’t delay! We encourage you to apply as soon as possible. For specific details, contact your Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officials in your Country;

(b) If you have more questions about immigration requirements, visit Immigration Canada’s web site.

Step by Step to a Successful Start at the Academy

  1. Request an application form from the Registrar’s office and once completed send it along with any required supporting documentation and application fee: USD$150.00 or CDN$150.00
  2. Supporting Documentation must include:
    • Family name, first name and initials – as shown on your identity documents e.g. passport or travel documents
    • Full mailing address (street address is required vis-à-vis a post office box)
    • Email address, if available
    • Date of Birth
    • Specification of the exact program you are applying to participate in.
    • The date you wish to start the program of study.
    • Educational background and a photocopy of your diploma from the highest level of education you have obtained. You must have the equivalent education of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Secondary school).
    • A statement regarding your level of comprehension of English, as all classes are offered in English. Please rate your comprehension on a scale of 1 to 10. (1 Low to 10 Strong). Students may be asked to provide a TOEFL certificate of completion.
  3. Upon receipt, your application will be reviewed and a decision advised to you by email, if provided, within 10 business days of receipt. A formal letter of acceptance, in the prescribed format for International Students, will be mailed or couriered depending on the time constraints.
  4. Immigration and Citizenship -Obtaining a Student Visa for Study

    Prior to applying to the Academy, it is important for applicants to learn about the process required to receive a student visa.

    Prior to Applying to the Academy, along with sending your transcripts you will need to have an independent verification as to their equivalency status in Canada.

    World Evaluation Service (WES) or equivalent will be required to confirm level of education. This must be received in order for the Academy to issue an approval letter. Please send it with your transcripts.

    WES Credential Evaluations (

    A credential evaluation is a comparison of your academic accomplishments to standards in the U.S. or Canada. This report helps institutions like schools, employers, licensing boards, or immigration authorities better understand your educational background.

    A report from WES:

    • Identifies and describes your credentials
    • Verifies that your credentials are authentic
    • May include a grade point average (GPA) equivalency
    • Includes an evaluation of the authenticity of your documents

    You also have the option to upgrade to an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP); this means we will store your verified transcripts and evaluation report for easy sending to universities and approved licensing bodies at any time.  In addition, you will receive a WES digital badge you can use to display your verified credentials on social media sites like LinkedIn.

    Your WES report will be completed within seven (7) business days of receipt, review, and acceptance of all documents by WES and payment in full. Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) for Canadian immigration take twenty (20) business days to process and complete.


    Obtain a Study Permit: Once you have received an acceptance letter you can continue with the process to obtain your Study Visa from Immigration and Citizenship. It is recommended an International Student reviews this process before applying.

    What is a study permit?

    The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

    Note: Your study permit is not a visa. It alone doesn’t allow you to enter Canada. You may also need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If so, we will issue it as part of your study permit application.

    Eligibility requirements

    You can study in Canada if you:

    • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • show proof that you have enough money to pay for your:
      • tuition fees
      • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
      • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
    • obey the law, have no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
    • are in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam.
    • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

    Get your documents ready

    Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

    • an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • a valid passport or travel document
    • proof you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while you’re in Canada

    Find out which documents you need before you apply for a study permit.

  5. Student Authorization

When you have been accepted to a program of study and have paid your tuition deposit as specified in the letter of acceptance, you need to obtain a student authorization from the Canadian Government in order to study in Canada. Note: Any tuition fee deposits are fully refundable up to 14 calendar days prior to the start of a designated program of study and in the event you do not receive a student visa.

  1. A Student Authorization gives you the legal right to remain in Canada to take on academic, professional or vocational training at an approved educational institution.You should complete an application for a Student Authorization (form IMM-1208) at the nearest Canadian government office in the country where you live.
  2. When you apply for a Student Authorization, you will need the following documents: Other documents may also be required.
    • Proof of your acceptance by the International Academy Health Education Centre.
    • Proof of financial support
    • Evidence of good character, and if applicable, a letter from your sponsor
    • Certificate of medical clearance.
    • A valid passport.
  3. Student Authorizations are generally issued for the full length of your program. When required, you may renew your authorization for the remainder of your program in Canada if you have ongoing student status and good financial standing.
  4. When you arrive in Canada, immigration officers will issue you your Student Authorization when you present the approval letter you received at the Canadian government office abroad.
  5. If you are currently studying in Canada on a Student Authorization at another designated educational institution, you may need to transfer your Student Authorization to the Academy.


International Student Medical Coverage – it is a requirement that International Students purchase medical insurance upon arrival and for the time they are in Canada. The Academy can direct you to a couple of insurance company options if required. The academy will ask to ensure this coverage is in place at Orientation and this is necessary in order to start classes.

(c) Costs
When you apply for a Student Authorization, you will have to show proof of your ability to financially support yourself. Since international students attending this program are only permitted to work part-time (maximum 20 hours per week) during periods when courses and/or clinics have been scheduled, it is important to plan your financial security before your arrival in Canada.

(d) Ability to speak, read, and write English will be of assistance to the student, as all textbooks and lectures are conducted in English. For students who do not speak English as a first language, it is recommended you complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test and measure your score against the benchmark of 580.  Alternatively, if the applicant has successfully completed at least two years of study in an undergraduate program at an English language university/college, he/she will likely have sufficient proficiency in the English language. More information relating to English proficiency testing can be obtained through the link on our website to the TOEFL website

What is TOEFL?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand North American English as it is spoken, written and heard in college and university settings. Most people who take TOEFL are planning to study at colleges and universities where instruction is in English. In addition, many government agencies, scholarship programs, and licensing/certification agencies use TOEFL scores to evaluate English proficiency.

Currently more than 4,400 two- and four-year colleges and universities, professional schools, and sponsoring institutions accept TOEFL scores.

The TOEFL test measures English language proficiency in reading, listening and writing and is offered on computer in most regions of the world. In areas where access to computer-based testing is limited, a paper-and-pencil version of the test is administered.

The Academy commitment:

“The International Academy of Massage is dedicated to excellence in health care education and to working with students to help them accomplish their personal educational goals.”